Wednesday, June 25, 2008

One hundred and eighty degrees

The only time I wish I had a television is when there is a good football match on. Today I discover that the BBC has started streaming the action on their website, so I can watch anyway. The wonders of the modern age.

In the meantime, my main computer has finished updating to a new operating system and is busy cataloguing and backing up my important data - most importantly more photos than I can countenance losing. They were already backed up, but it was time to regroup and do it differently. So computers remain a major part of my life - I can do without TV.

It's interesting to see the brethren's attitude to computers changing quite steadily. From being a complete no-no, they have become vital and acknowledgedly so. That's kind of strange, as over many years I heard all sorts of rationalisations saying that there were more than moral reasons (moral in a brethren sense, of course) for brethren's avoidance of computers. Nothing important should ever be entrusted to machines. Paper and people are always the answer, and machines are a distraction even when they're not actually causing problems.

Well, no longer, it seems. Computers are important. I couldn't agree more, even if I don't agree with the general methods, and it does seem a shame that the neat doctrine U-turn had to wait until after I'd given up on the whole system.

No comments: