Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christening

It seems a while ago now, as I seem to be so busy that I can hardly keep up, but last Sunday I added to my professional photographic experience by doing a christening. Admittedly I was already invited as a guest, but it definitely counts because the parents had to pay an extra fee to the church!

And so the slow but steady trialling of churches and varieties of Christian experience continues.

Leaving aside the photography for now, the whole thing was well worth while. This was another C of E church, not as grand as Hampton Court (obviously) but very well-to-do with a solidly middle-class congregation, and fully kitted out with steeple, grassy surroundings and gravestones outside, and wooden carving, stained glass and pipe organ inside. It was quite cosy, though, with function rooms off the main nave and a play area with toys behind the rows of pews. The principal difference this time was that the vicar was a woman, and so was her assistant.

I have to say that in the case of a christening, having a woman in charge is a splendid idea. I don't know what her services are like in the ordinary way, but this one was great. It's the first time I've felt really comfortable in a religious setting since my brethren days.

It was a double double event, with two families having two children each. They and the godparents all gathered at the front around the vicar, and she also called forward as many of the other children present who wanted to go (which was quite a few). Already that made for a pleasant feeling. Maybe it was a little bit much that a lot of the remaining children spent their time running around the hall and making noise, but even that was much preferable to having them tense and quiet against their will. As it was, it all felt happy - that's the only word I can use there, I think.

The ritual itself was all as set out in standard practice, from what I understand. Yet it didn't feel ritualised, as the vicar gave every sign of enjoying interacting with the children, and they enjoyed her attention in return. And she added unscripted speeches between times, too, part commentary, part teaching, part prayer.

All in all, I felt quite at home, and would be very happy to return. We shall see what happens - I may be disappointed by a normal Sunday.

As a bonus, the pictures came out well, too. And the meal afterwards was delicious from beginning to end, with fascinating company. Now that's what I call a success.

No comments: