Thursday, October 25, 2007

Attitude Update

Well, the blog hasn't died yet. I think it may be more a case of easing off and mentally recalibrating its content.

It's been three months since I stopped going to the brethren's meetings, and by the time the quarter-year in my own home has passed, I will be another year older. Although life continues to move fast, I am beginning to feel as though the routine aspects are getting under control, and I no longer have to expend quite so much mental effort just on scheduling.

These days I don't throw so much veg away, and since I discovered steaming (which suits single-person cooking very well, as does a frying pan), I've hardly used frozen veg either. I've been gently shown that laminate floors are better wiped than vacuumed. And the ironing board is much better near the stereo, even if it is less than ideal to have it in the living room. Somehow or other all the jobs that need doing get done in the gaps of time there are.

I think, too, that after this month ends I will have a good idea of my monthly finances. I've been logging all my outgoings, and categorising them (a chore, but vital right now), so that now the initial frightening pile of expenses has receded, I can see what it really costs to live. That, in turn, allows me to plan sensibly for the future.

There seems to be a reasonable sum left after essentials, which is just as well because I have a good many things to save for. That's where the planning will soon have to start. Work, travel, buying property instead of renting. Expensive things, and there will need to be trade-offs.

Besides, now the big leap from brethren to ex-brethren has happened, and I haven't cracked under the strain (my osteopath told me the tension she's been used to treating is almost gone), I should be turning my attention to new and positive achievements. Maybe posting them here will help to make them goals instead of dreams.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I suppose we could say that EB Survivor has "turned a corner". Joking of course! Things generally happen in a more gradual way than that, since we are organic beings, and except in rare circumstances don't veer sharply in new directions.