Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Friends Away From Home

Any brethren who knew I was about to travel had one comment in common (besides the worry for my safety): that it wouldn't be like travel is for brethren, where they know they will be looked after in safe surroundings, by people they can rely on.

Well, we spent several days in Lima, staying with a family of three who didn't know us at all, only taking us in as a favour to a mutual friend. Yet they have been true friends from the first day, looking after us as thoroughly as it is possible to do. They have cooked for us, taken us out, taken days off work, travelled two three-hour bus journeys in one day, told us the things tourists need to know. I don't know how anyone could expect more just from belonging to the same sect as someone else.

Interestingly, as Peru is a religious country, they were both interested in and understanding of my situation. More of that another time maybe.

Now we are travelling around the country, but it feels as though when we go back to Lima we will be returning home. We are under instructions to phone them every day in the meantime to let them know how we are getting on, and they have already offered good advice at this distance - which, incidentally, is twenty-two hours of bus travel, and eleven thousand feet of altitude. I'm blogging from Cusco this time, and recommend it to everyone. It's beautiful.

Oh, and my hour of internet time downstairs from our (slightly shabby) room is costing me loose change. I just have to be able to navigate in Spanish and guess some keys where the markings have rubbed off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Travel was an overwhelming lesson for me about people. There are the good, and not so good in any community. Friendship and kindness is global. Enjoy!