Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Secular Wedding

The milestone of a second non-brethren wedding has come round very fast considering all things. I spoke to another ex-brother who hadn't attended even one, having been on the outside more than five times as long.

I could list many differences between this one and the last, quite beyond them being thousands of miles and culturally almost as far apart. The last was thoroughly Catholic, and this one was religion-free. But none of that matters too much.

In spite of knowing one of the happy couple, I was quite apprehensive beforehand. At least on the earlier occasion I could be expected to behave strangely and not fit in, being a foreigner, but I no more knew what to do this time than before even though one of the happy couple was an old friend. On arrival I discovered I had already made one less-than-optimal choice, having dithered between my knowledge that it was a smart occasion and my hatred of the restricted feeling of suits and ties and having plumped for physical comfort rather than fitting in. It was a truly smart occasion, too, with surroundings and trimmings well beyond any of my previous experience. Lovely, extremely enjoyable all round, but slightly unnerving in that I couldn't shake the ghost of a suspicion that someone would suddenly realise that I shouldn't be there.

Yet what made the most impact during the ceremony itself was what seems to be common to all weddings: the naked and genuine emotion on display in the couple, and the tangible wave of warm support from the attendees. It seems hard to eradicate religious feelings from these things, even if religion itself is absent. The best phrase I can think of for it is the old "loving-kindness". Whatever you call it, the room was full of the stuff.

Beyond the ceremony, I started off feeling somewhat overawed (which may be apparent from my earlier comments), and gravitated to the few I recognised and then to other brethren-connected people. Yet I was very happy to find that when we approached groups of others laughing and chatting together like old friends, all we ever found was that they were pleased to make room and make new friends. I can't remember a less cliquey gathering - odd for one taking place in a five-star hotel.

Just to convey that atmosphere for a moment - the interior architecture felt like a playground with my pocket camera in my hand, there were custom decorations for everything from the tabletops to the stair-rails, the food was first-class and never-ending, as was the wine, including what seemed like an unlimited supply of actual champagne (a weakness of mine), there were hats and three-piece suits everywhere, and waiting staff hovered to fulfil any need. There were two different sets of live music performers, and they were brilliant rather than makeweights. For me, all of that could have been alienating, so I am amazed in retrospect that I didn't really feel out of place in the company. I was fairly sure I would.

Apart from everything else, this was not a marriage as such but a civil partnership between two men. I didn't know what difference that would make, not being really familiar with standard weddings either, but it could have been considerable for all I know. As it turned out, I wasn't equipped to judge, because it seemed pretty much the same except there was no bride to act as a focal point. In many ways that's an improvement, I think. I know nothing about the culture, but I am confirmed that generally I really like gay people.

I did wonder what other ex-brethren made of it all, but then those present all came down firmly on the correct side of the liberal/conservative line by definition. Ex-brethren seem to either hang grimly onto their old moral certainties or they make a deliberate effort to open their minds as far as they can. Intellectually, I can still see the validity of the Christian prohibition of homosexuality (dropped quietly into conversation the day before by a committed Catholic), but these days I tend to pay more attention to the gut feeling deep inside that tells me whether something needs looking at on a moral level. Gay people don't move that indicator even by a whisker, and so I can't summon up any worry about it. I would be interested to know how many others are like me, and how many accept homosexuality with an effort as a symbol of their new and hard-won tolerance, given the strength of feeling within the brethren.

Whatever, one thing that was very obvious was that love is love, regardless of the specifics of the two people. I saw many examples during the day, and found it all quite touching.

One other thing I learned that is probably worth mentioning is that many types of people have adversity in common, even if the form of the adversity varies. I was a small cog in the preparation process, and based my contribution on what I know from my life - what else could I do? Yet, once it was suitably cloaked in parable, other people seemed to find their own parallels, such that I felt a fraud because they assumed I knew more than I do. Interpretation is a wonderful thing.

This is an unusually long post, but it felt like a very significant event to me, and I need to get my feelings down while they're still fresh.

10 comments:

Escapee said...

We should be able to understand gay people easily, because they have mostly spent years of "separation" from normal society, just as us ex-ebs have. And, like most of us, their "difference" was imposed upon them at birth, through no fault of their own.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for your most interesting account. As an ex-EB, and one of the "grooms" (does "groom" imply that there is a bride, and does "husband" imply there is a wife?), I am delighted that the event impressed you. You are dead right that your composition read at the ceremony applied to far more in the room than ex-EB, judging by everybody's comments. I'm incredibly pleased that you found our friends friendly with you - something that when I was in the EB that I never believed would happen in "the world".

Escapee, your comment hit the nail firmly on the head. I know that your last comment is true, but I am amazed that of the prejudiced heterosexuals (however small a percentage of society they may form),so many of them do not believe it, especially since they are least qualified to even have an opinion about it. (A bit like a healthy man refusing to accept or believe that a deaf person cannot hear.)

Survivor, I wondered if you would expand on your comment: "Intellectually, I can still see the validity of the Christian prohibition of homosexuality". I am not querying this with a chip on my shoulder, or with an attitude that suggests that tolerance must be based on full and unquestioning agreement, but simply out of curiosity to learn more of opinions on such matters.

Anonymous said...

"Ex-brethren seem to either hang grimly onto their old moral certainties or they make a deliberate effort to open their minds as far as they can."

Too true Brother Survivor! Too true!

Readers of this blog will forgive me for repeating something that one ex-brethren said a couple of years ago, and my apology for paraphrasing it, but I think it sums it up neatly.

We had been discussing a gathering of ex-brethren where neither colour nor secular orientation had been an issue.

"It's as though, having been schooled in such strict Brethren conformity, each of us has fully embraced diversity."

the survivor said...

I really didn't want to make a big thing out of the homosexuality aspect, as it was a long way from being the most important thing about the occasion as far as I was concerned. I just couldn't help wondering, as I say, how other ex-brethren actually think about it.

My sympathy with the classic Christian position is roughly as follows:

- the monotheistic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) all base morality on doing God's will
- they all assume the believer needs instruction in what that will is
- the principal source of instruction is the written word (Old Testament, full Bible, Koran)
- other instruction is by ancient tradition
- both sets of sources have nothing but negative things to say about homosexuality
- they also prohibit any intimate physical expression of love except for the purpose of procreation

Set against that, as far as I and many others are concerned, is the notion of personal conviction, whereby one trusts one's own judgement, and also modern reasoning that says that there were sound practical reasons for many scriptural prohibitions and those reasons no longer apply in the modern world.

I prefer to trust my judgement, especially as I had many years being told what to think. But I can see that a fervent Christian with a traditional outlook would have as much trouble condoning the practise of homosexuality as they would of fornication.

Anonymous said...

Oooops!

We had been discussing a gathering of ex-brethren where neither colour nor secular orientation had been an issue.

That should have read: "neither colour or sexual orientation had been an issue".

I also take this opportunity to say I agree with the last sentence in The Survivor's response to capital.nj.

Unknown said...

Surely your initial sentence was correct George? (either-or, neither-nor)

And this noun "practice" is always popping up to haunt us!

Sorry Survivor, I'm feeling as though I'm hijacking your blog! Let he that is without sin...

Anonymous said...

Neither here nor there nj - but you are quite right!

But it was the word "secular" I had got wrong.

Escapee said...

And there are some who have lived in a double "closet" - born into both the EB and homosexuality!

Unknown said...

Doh! Knowing the importance you attach to language, George, I had read into your posting what I thought I was meant to read. As Survivor says, "interpretation is a wonderful thing"...

Thanks all, for your interesting comments.

Ian said...

Dear Survivor,

So YOU felt out of place without a suit and tie? What about ME, the only one accused of arriving in drag?

By the way, I would exclude the Bible from your generalisation that “they also prohibit any intimate physical expression of love except for the purpose of procreation.” This is true of Roman Catholic tradition, but I don’t think the Bible contains any such prohibition.

On the contrary, Proverbs says things like, “Let thy fountain be blessed; and have joy of the wife of thy youth. As a lovely hind and a graceful roe, let her breasts satisfy thee at all times: be thou ravished continually with her love.” Being ravished continually is obviously a lot more than is needed for the purposes of procreation.

Also the Song of Songs is an erotic poem from beginning to end, sometimes with pretty explicit sexual symbolism, (e.g. “my beloved put in his hand by the hole [of the door?] and my bowels yearned for him”) but it contains no mention of procreation. The speakers exalt love and its physical expression for its own sake, not as a method of making babies.

There is also plenty of biological evidence that sex, especially in humans, is about much more than procreation.

There are several other reasons to discredit what you call “the classic Christian position” (which I assume was not intended as a double-entendre) but this is probably not the best place for it.

I can confirm what you say about the pervasive atmosphere of “warm support” and “loving-kindness” at the wedding. It was a beautiful and moving event from beginning to end.