Thursday, September 11, 2008

Shocking News

Things were going pretty much as normal today until I had a call from one of my brothers at work during lunch. Nothing surprising about that: he and I have been conversing and corresponding on a project of his over the last few days.

But this time he asked me if I knew that our parents were out of the country. I didn't. Apparently I was due to be told but stress and busy-ness meant the call was never made before they left. And now, on their first day away, they were in a serious car crash. Fortunately it seems there are no serious injuries as such, but my mother is still in hospital a day and a half later.

There isn't anything I can do, or could do even if things were different. I'm not there where the action is. But it does raise all sorts of feelings and I feel distant and powerless, even more distant than before. And I really don't like to feel distant from my family, as we were always closer than average even among the brethren. I'm just very thankful there isn't more need for something to be done and that everything seems to be OK.

I guess I'm fortunate compared to many that I have at least a reasonable point of contact, and that allows me to convey at least some of my feelings back the other way.

No comments: