Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Jumping v Being Pushed

My recent reading contained one assertion that hit me quite hard: that people's psychology is generally such that control over their environment has more effect on their happiness than the circumstances themselves. More specifically, the author said that he had himself proved that it is possible to gain great satisfaction from leaving a well-paid job for a lesser one ... provided that you resign rather than being pushed out.

Obviously that has relevance to my current circumstances, as although all is quiet on the work side of my life, I'd be ignoring history if I thought my job was secure indefinitely. But it made me wonder more whether those who took a very deliberate step in leaving the brethren have fared better in the time since than those who were thrown out or otherwise left without it being completely their decision.

All things being equal, I can see that we tend to seek confirmation that we have made correct choices once we've made them (I remember being taught that customers tend to become repeat customers if you call them and reiterate what a great purchase they made in the days after they take delivery - they're more persuadable when they are already expending their own mental energy justifying their decision). That means that someone who has taken a drastic step, freely, will be focused on their gains, keen to grasp any evidence that emerges that says they were right to do what they did. By contrast, a person who feels disposed-of may find it so hard to see past what they have lost without having decided to do so that the same scraps of good news pass them by entirely.

Reasoning from what appears to be common sense rather than evidence proves nothing, of course, but it would be interesting to know if there is any grain of realism in that summary.

Meanwhile I take the lesson to heart myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard the theory that the degree of control one has over one's environment is the measure of one's social class. So leaving EB (or whatever) voluntarily is a high status action, whereas being kicked out is a sign of inferiority.