Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Thoughts upon a Carol night

Two days back at work, and the holiday is receding in memory. I made the decision to take it easy in non-work time for this week, so I'm sitting back and fiddling with assorted things while periodically refreshing a live feed page of an Apple keynote.


Thinking of stages, presenters and presentation and suchlike, one of the events of the break was a carol concert. I had thought I wouldn't say anything about that, thinking that this blog was in danger of becoming a review site for different churches. However, I have weighed it up a few times since and some things may be worth noting even if only to get them out of my head and down somewhere else.


It was a Baptist church nearby, and the overall ambience was the nearest to a brethren equivalent that I've yet seen. Modern, amplified, and a good mix of ages in the people. I can't say I recall any brethren meetings being led by a youngish woman in a sparkly dress, but I'm talking feel rather than direct likeness.


But getting right to the point of what has been weighing on my mind since, there were a good many people there who had an indefinable equivalence to brethren, and it was something I didn't like. Many people do like it, I know, and the essence of it for me (after much consideration) is that they have an air of certainty. Something in their aura - or at least their manner - says that they have the answer to life's questions, the problems are solved, and nothing can really be big enough to shake them.


A good thing, surely? I know that, when belonging to the brethren, you can regularly meet people who admire that and wish they had it themselves. Still, good thing or not, it rubs me up the wrong way, possibly as much as anything about the brethren. Certainty, to me, presents images of closed doors, plugs pulled, lids shut, interestingness put beyond reach in one way or another. I haven't got space here to explore that theme as I would like to, so I'll return to finish it later ... maybe. It's enough to say for now that anyone who doesn't appear to be humble enough to entertain a smidgen of doubt loses some respect from me (I'm too polite to say so, though).


The only other thing on the downside, on the whole, was that one man was allowed to tell his life history for way too long. OK, we got the message that he was a rotten and inconsiderate man (although successful, of course) and now he's all sorted out due to Christianity. It didn't need a full half hour.


As an event, though, it was thoroughly enjoyable. It took me a carol or two to remember how to sing, but it was great to have an opportunity to sing out loudly in company after so long. I should find ways of doing that more often. And it was nice to be in good company, doing something sociable and community-oriented.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting comment, as I had noted over a period of time that many exEB, who continue with a faith, seem to attend the Baptist Church.

I always wondered, and when I finally pointed this out to a friend it was explained that the Baptist Church is quite similar to Brethren.

Anonymous said...

I've been in a Baptist church twice, once in 1965 and another time in about 1981. I have no desire to return. I think you put it rather well - there is something about the adherents that rubs me the wrong way.

To be honest, I've become quite comfortable with a life that involves no church attendance at all, except when some relative gets married or baptized, or when someone I knew is buried.

I can never quite decide whether churches and religions are complete wastes of time or whether the social aspect of membership is a redeeming factor. I'm not very impressed with professional church leaders as a group. Every week they have to figure out a way to tell you that it is important that you come back next week. Why? so you'll put some money in the box. If you subtract the cost of operating a church and paying the staff from the money they raise, it's a rather inefficient way to perform good works.

Anonymous said...

During the 9 years as an elected Councillor, part of one's duties was to don the robes of office and attend several Church Services throughout the year - although I have no faith. And we were robed for funerals of former Mayors or prominent councillors and formed a sort of guard of honour.

I had no qualms about attending but did not take part by singing any of the hymns.

Each year, the outgoing Mayor would have a service of thanksgiving in a church of his or her choice, with a result I've attended several services conducted by various vicars - but I've never been in a Baptist Church.

One year, the outgoing Mayor was Roman Catholic but she didn't want to interupt the usual services there. As she lived in Eton (and repreented Eton) she asked the Headteacher of Eton College if we could use the Eton College Church.

Princes Andrew and Harry were both in the congregation that day and I have to say the singing was excellent.

Was there a specific reason you attended the Baptist CHurch?

the survivor said...

I'm comfortable with not attending church, too, to be honest. However, after a break to get used to the whole idea, it turns out that I'm quite happy attending when someone else wants to go. Partly, I admit, it's just that I'm shallow in that way and rather like to wallow in nostalgia for familiar words and tunes and literature.

And the specific Baptist connection was simply that I wanted to go to a carol concert, and asked some nearby friends (who I knew usually went to one) if we could join them. They picked the service, and we went along. And that was all good - I liked being there, I liked the occasion, and above all I liked being part of something along with people I like. A few people who rub me up the wrong way is not a big deal and wouldn't stop me going again.