Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Great Gulf Fixed

As time goes by, one of the things I notice most is the mutual incomprehension between people who have experience of the brethren and people who don't. I think that comprehensibility gap is the main reason why ex-brethren feel the need to stay in contact with other ex-brethren.

But it works both ways. I found myself attempting to explain to various brethren at different times recently just how hard it is to make anyone on the outside see any merit at all in their separation doctrine, and I don't think any of them believed me. The assumption is that any right-thinking person would have to acknowledge the moral superiority of their position, once explained, even if they couldn't face taking that position themselves.

That does provide an answer of sorts to those who claim the whole thing is a cynical front, and none of them really believe what they claim to believe they do, at least to the extent they've allowed themselves to consider the matter.

Obviously this is a bit of a test issue in their dealings with me. So they are keen to know what I think about separation, even if they can't actually take it in. It makes for an odd conversation.

What I was trying to tell them was that it's hard enough explaining to outsiders that my family don't have anything to do with me, yet still have affection for me (so far as I know), and convincing them that the two things are not totally incompatible with each other, without also trying to explain that Christianity is the reason for the oxymoron. To everybody else on the planet, the attitude and resulting actions are so far from Christian principles that it sounds like a joke. So in actual fact, my own thoughts on the subject weren't relevant; I was talking about the effort involved in making allowances for the brethren to others.

This does seem to disturb them, even though brethren doctrine says that the unspiritual will never be able to understand the spiritual.

The specifics of separation in my case are put firmly back on me. I have left them, so the barrier is my fault. I can't expect to turn my back on everything that's good and right and still expect them to treat me with open affection. In a sense, of course, they're right, because I did take the step knowing that's what they'd do. But even so, the choice is theirs of how to treat me - whether they put more confidence in the person or the moral code. The fact that I had a pretty good idea which they'd choose doesn't mean I made the choice for them. Still, if they feel better that way, I'll let them have that bit of comfort.

It's the general case that is more fascinating. Surely, they say, even worldly Christians don't think it's good to associate themselves with just anybody, whatever their morals? And broadly, I reply, that's true, though true Christians would be prepared and ready to help others whatever the person's spiritual condition, if not to associate themselves with their morals. So what if you find that someone has been doing something evil, and you've been associating with them, they ask. Well, I say, that's been known to happen within the brethren. What's the difference? That's an easy one for them: any such people are dealt with as only the brethren can, and they'll have nothing more to do with them. And, I ask, do they suppose that other people don't change their attitudes in a similar way when they find something truly abhorent in somebody? Isn't the only unique aspect of the brethren that they presume in advance that everybody outside the circle is associated with evil? And how is that a Christian attitude?

This is where it gets sore. The master touchstone is brought into play: if I don't think it's right to do that, what do I imagine the scripture in second Timothy means? "If anyone purify himself from these, in separating himself from them".

I have my thoughts on that. But I have no interest in debating interpretations. More to the point, I say, if their favoured interpretation of a single piece of the bible conflicts with everything that is generally held to be Christian, isn't it just possible that interpretation is mistaken?

At this point it dawns on them that what we have here is a difference of opinion. I think it's an odd experience for them, especially if the conversation isn't heated.

Well, they say, The Truth is The Truth. And I agree. One piece of wisdom I have from my grandfather is that the truth and what one believes are not necessarily the same thing. Their complete conviction that they are the only ones in step doesn't, in itself, prove their rightness. But still they remain rooted to the ideological spot.

And just how much sense does any of that make to a normal human being, someone with common humanity and ethics? The strange thing is not so much that the brethren can't explain why it is more important for them to hold on to a theoretical purity than to soothe real hurt, but that they can't see why they should. For them, the burden of proof falls on the unbelievers and heretics who deny what should be obvious.

The fact that an overwhelming majority of people think differently is of no importance. That majority hasn't had the benefit of being shown the right way. Consequently, they're given slightly more credit than those of us who do know and understand what the brethren believe, yet don't agree. That's unforgiveable, and is the real reason why we must remain sundered from them.

7 comments:

Robert said...

Dear Survivor, I know you have already made the point that people like me who are peripheral to the brethren are on the wrong side of the comprehensibility gap, but I'll make a point anyway if I may. Reading through your comprehensive analysis of how separation is perceived and acted out on different sides of the fence, one could be forgiven for believing that it is about an obscure piece of doctrine which is important to one side; relatively unimportant to the other, and overall of little significance. However, of course, in ordinary human terms it is of profound significance. These are real humans we are talking about here and the lifelong pain, distress and psychological harm that is brought about in some cases by families shutting out their own members is not just not Christ-like, it flouts fundamental moral principles and is in my view inexcusable. Each adult individual is morally responsible for the consequences of their choice to separate from loved ones however understandable it might be. If Christians are right and there is a God up there to whom one has to explain oneself on arrival at The Pearly Gates I'm quite sure that brethren will get a profound shock at what God has to say about their misinterpretation of his Word. Of course you know that I can say this tongue in cheek not being a believer myself but I'm sure you get the point.

Robert said...

Post Script:I also know that you are not justifying or defending the EB position, only observing and explaining it, but I still can't help making my point.

the survivor said...

I had hoped that my disapproval of the doctrine came through without being too explicitly stated, but I'll take the space here to assure you it's there. I do try not to rant, that's all.

Anonymous said...

Survivor, it's excellent to read that you are having these quiet conversations with the Exclusive Brethren. Thank you for reporting them.

Do the people to whom you talk know that Exclusive Brethren haven't always treated outsiders in the way they do now?

In my personal experience everything changed in the 1960s.

James Taylor Jnr wrote in a letter dated 16 September 1960 about the new directive of not eating with non-Brethren people:

" ... invariably we are contaminated when we go [to eat with non-Brethren], for the uncleanness comes out over the table."

Could you help your Exclusive Brethren contacts to understand that there are non-Brethren people who remember the old days and are therefore baffled by the way the Exclusive Brethren behave now. Do they believe the Scriptural text changed in the 1960s?

And, by the way, do the Exclusive Brethren not grasp how insulting it is to other people to imply that uncleanness comes out over their table?

the survivor said...

What you may be missing, Joan, is that the brethren are rather proud of the way that they change. It's considered a mark of progress and improvement. As for the eating, I don't think it's as extraordinary as the overall doctrine. There are many cultures which place great symbolic value on the sharing of food. The key point, I think, is that eating together became impossible when it became doctrine that outsiders were to be considered unclean by default and not merely if they proved themselves to be so. Sharing food is only one way of sharing that uncleanness, although I agree banning it is one of the most socially obvious ways of making the point.

Anonymous said...

"Unclean by default". I object!

How do others feel?

Anonymous said...

"outsiders were to be considered unclean by default" was the context.

I consider Survivor is right in saying that, but I too feel miffed that I am unclean "by default".

But then again, I've been in that situation for 40 years and Survivor for considerably less than that, so I just shrug my shoulders!