Monday, September 10, 2007

Getting Personal

I have stuck to one rule quite firmly, and that is that I don't write about any particular individuals. I don't know exactly why, but it just feels better that way, I suppose because I already struggle with knowing that whatever I write would be hurting somebody.

It's becoming harder to abide by that rule, though. A large part of my tentative pathway out into this big bad world is the people I meet and especially those who help to make it worth it. I'm stuck between wanting add my feelings about that to my feelings about everything else, and not wishing to spoil any interpersonal stuff by unnecessary publicity. I suspect it would be hard to remain natural if I was constantly checking boxes in the back of my head, thinking "yes, I can use that" or, "no, that's off limits". Not to mention my companion(s) wondering whether they're going to appear in words over the next few days.

Maybe I'll find some way through the tangle, but for the moment oblique references seem to be the best I can do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is very important to take into account a companion's/associate's right to privacy. In your shoes I would certainly check with someone first whether it's OK to name them in a blog.

A pseudonym or an initial might be a valid alternative. After all, you yourself are the 'Survivor'.

It's excellent, though, that you are having such positive experiences. Are you able to reassure those whom you've left behind that people outside the Brethren camp are mostly decent and kind?

Robert said...

The wrestle you describe between loyalty to confidantes on the one hand and telling it as it really is, is played out in many areas of life. Politicians and journalists live with the difficulty every day. My guess is that in the interests of you making progress, most of your friends would be happy for you to say more than you do.