Sunday, September 23, 2007

Whenever Ye Would, Ye Can Do Them Good

Yesterday, while at a birthday party for a Down's Syndrome woman, I was muddling myself pondering the differences in attitude to the disadvantaged between the brethren and outside.

Although I felt a bit out of place, since most of those at the party were quite familiar with each other (it was about half-and-half mentally disabled and carers/parents/friends), it was rewarding to see the interaction and sheer enjoyment. The birthday girl was overjoyed every time she opened another gift and found another token-stye present. I think there's something to learn there.

But what was puzzling me was considering how the brethren think of such people, and trying to decide whether blame outweighs praise or vice versa.

The good side is that anyone disabled in one way or another who is fortunate enough to be born among the brethren, can almost certainly rely on a secure and loving home. All the peer pressure runs in the direction of taking care of one's own, whatever the difficulties, and I have seen many families' devoted care to such disadvantaged people, and how happy they can be. I suspect that the rigid rules and routines also suit the less mentally capable.

But I felt bad on behalf of the community, even though I no longer count myself among them, because anyone on the outside, however needy, gets nothing, not even a thought. Yesterday I saw many people who devote some portion of their lives to making sure that the less fortunate have someone who cares. It may be a large part of their lives, or something they fit in around other things, but it's important in each case. Brethren just do not do that.

And I had never considered before the gain there is to be had from such activity. I'm sure it's selfless, but as with all selfless activity, it has rewards. Seeing a collection of people who could be thought pitiable, all happy and having fun, and displaying their considerable personalities, shifts one's outlook to humanity as a whole, I think. It's no wonder those who spend their time around such people tend to be cheerful and positive. I had always thought that attitude was part of what was required to go in for such work, but now I'm not so sure. I think the work encourages the positivity.

I'm not sure I shall go straight out and volunteer my help in caring for the disabled, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to think over these things, and who knows what the future may hold.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you've hit the nail square on the head! Loving and caring participation with the less abled is a joy, and engenders its own happiness and understanding. Expanding one's empathy and compassion far beyond family or group, to a universal level.

Anonymous said...

I suspect there are many Brethren people who would wish they could do more for disadvantaged people in the outside world.

On a slightly different vein and yet with as much compassion, I know a family who took a roast meal each week to the elderly non Brethren neighbour across the road.

They also sheltered and gave meals, one wet cold winters day, to a troubled young non Brethren lad they had once employed. His flatmates had left taking all household contents and this family gave and purchased necessary items for him. They agreed he needed a mentor and said they would love to take him in but they just couldn't.

Restrictive acts of kindness to fellow men.