Thursday, August 23, 2007

Baby Steps into Adulthood

It's a strange feeling being totally responsible for myself so late in life Generally, I suppose, most people would have become independent more gradually, and much younger.

Still, here I am, and have managed a few days without running out of clean clothes, getting utilities cut off, suffering food poisoning or malnutrition - not that those are in any particular order of worry. I had feared that it would be harder to adapt than it is, being used to a certain amount of pampering, and that pleasant environment where food and laundry appear as if by magic. It's not really a hardship doing these things for myself, just real life.

Inevitably, of course, when I phoned a stranger last night (well, the making of friends has to begin somewhere), the conversation had to turn to my current situation, and it becomes easier to explain my background than to give no reason for having lived with my parents for thirty-three years. That, apparently, is relatively normal in Italy, but counts against one here.

Fortunately, as I had been told, people find the background interesting rather than sinister or pitiable. And, I feel, it is better to have become an adult in my early thirties than to have never taken the step at all. Now is what counts, not the past.

It proves very hard for people to make the connection between christianity and exclusivity, though. I have a suspicion that many future conversations will depend on me finding away to explain how my family can call themselves christian, not hate me, yet have no contact. Well, actually there is still contact, and the level is probably quite high compared to many ex-brethren, but it's pretty meagre by any other standard.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

33 - that's well over the hill isn't it?
;-)

Anonymous said...

On top of the hill enjoying the view! ;-)

I am puzzled when I hear how some do have contact with family, albeit minimal. Is this a changing attitude or just some risk taking?

the survivor said...

I think the level of contact is dependent on the perceived amount of departure from brethren standards. Some, who because of something dreadful they've done such as opposing the brethren publicly, are beyond the pale. Others, like me, are thought to be still possible to get back, and consequently limited contact is actually encouraged.

33 is a long way over the hill in brethren terms. Fortunately it's the prime of life on the outside. It's still a tricky age to explain to a prospective romantic partner why you've only just left home, though. Take it from me.

Anonymous said...

That is very enlightening and extremely interesting.

Thank you.

Jill Mytton said...

If 33 is over the hill what hope is there for me!!
I dont know about anyone else but I am struggling to keep up with this blogger!!
I shall have to print all the entries out for the last couples of days to read at leisure (whatever that is - do EBs have leisure??)

Anonymous said...

Ah Jill, the lad has lot to learn!

I'm just reaching my peak at 65.

Anonymous said...

Isn't 33 the right age for crucifixion?

Ian said...

I think there must be an optimum age for leaving the Brethren. If you are too young, you you are too dependent, both emotionally and financially; if you wait too long you become too set in your ways, and find it difficult to adapt.

I must do a survey some time to map out the age distribution of escapees.