Saturday, August 18, 2007

First Weekend

I had thought, in a vague sort of way, that the weekend would stretch out before me blissfully, like a holiday from the week. That's compared to weekends among the brethren, where normally you'll get approximately half a day to get things done in, and a day and a half of organised activity.

But no. I went to a supermarket in good time (before nine o'clock!), and stocked up with enough essentials that I should be able to avoid going again until the middle of next week. I hope. Then the plan was to get some washing done so it can be drying while I get on with the clearing up and sorting out and putting away ... etc etc. However, the weather is not too cheerful, and I have no clothes airer indoors. And I have an iron but no ironing board. So I guess it's back to the shops for me.

Routine is a valuable thing in my opinion, because it saves mental effort on repetitive tasks. There are many things I have no routine for, just yet, and I don't even know how much of my time will be taken up by them. So I imagine I won't get as much done over this weekend as I had planned. It would have been nice to take a trip out for some entertainment in company, having spruced up the place to my satisfaction. Maybe I still should, regardless. I'll see how things go.

Fortunately, this is not the only weekend I have.

4 comments:

Jill Mytton said...

Discovering about life on the outside!! Routine is essential and will course come. Change of any kind disrupts routine and can therefore be stressful. But as you hint! play is also essential and I think most of us are guilty of not doing enough of that.
Fortunately this is not the only weekend you have

Jill Mytton said...

Oh and by the way - you must have a launderette near you somewhere - for washing take your wet clothes there and use the dryer. In the UK the people running these launderettes are usually very helpful. Some fabrics can shrink though - like wool but usually the label on the garment will say if tumble drying not a good idea.

That is this mum's advice for the day!

Anonymous said...

I thought you would have had your share of routine!

Take that break - we all need time out to energise ourselves.

It will all fall into place soon. You sound very organised to me in such a short space of time.

Unknown said...

Having been out of the PB routine for 6 months & 20 days I can say routine/schedule was actually 1 of the better things they had.

If you can keep some sort of routine it will help. In my experience I let myself go, with disastrous results (health, relationships & wealth) - just don't worry about stacking it with as many things as they do - life is ment to be lived, not rushed through from dawn till dusk!

Oh and here's a lesson you might take from me - get out & meet people socially everyday. We've been used to a busy social life from birth & it's a good idea to continue that, as really that's what matters most - the people in your life.

Good on you mate - & all the best with your new life.