Tuesday, August 21, 2007

On the Leaving of Things

I try to take things with me where I can,
Devices that seem normal, not too new,
Objects that my hand knows how to grasp
As well as thoughts that take no energy to think.
There is a spice to newness, but it's rich,
And savoured best when sprinkled on the bland.

Too many pieces of a former life
Stay back among the pieces of their own,
And they are gaps for me, as I for them.
My emptiness is wide, as much is lost,
But like the missing item of a set,
I fear theirs may be deep and catch the eye,
A sorrow difficult to bear because alone.
Not knowing that is one more gap for me.

For absences are not like real things.
They can divide and multiply at once.
A missing instrument is not the thing itself,
But songs no longer played, and those who heard,
And moods no longer matched by melody,
The uses, habits, practise, now disused.
So missing friends are noticed in the way
That no-one knows the meaning of a phrase,
Or laughs at jokes so worn they don't need words.

But unlike them I still have gaps ahead,
The better kind of gap, not dead but fresh,
The unknown future, full of unknown friends,
And simple pleasures not yet guessed.
Besides, the things around me that are new,
The petty tasks that aren't quite yet routine,
Although they cannot fill the holes, loom large
Enough to block the view of what's not there.

Best not to look at spaces where things were,
The things now left behind in what is past.
Like other sadnesses they crave my gaze,
Will act the Hydra, feeding on the fight.
People are too large to simply miss,
The gap revealed by things that still remain.
Like making tea for one, not two or three,
Remembering that one needs extra milk -
The knowledge useless now except to frame
That gap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it Survivor. Thank you. I like gaps and intervals. They can be filled with our imagination. Just as a projected sequence of 24 still pictures per second magically becomes motion in the mind's eye. And as low-definition imagery invites participation of the senses to "complete" the picture. And the essential "gaps" in a musical score.

Even the black ink of text is a gap enclosed in the reflective light of the page.

May you continue to have the kind of gaps which evoke imaginative prose, visual creation, poetry, unique solutions to sticky problems, and indeed, a fulfilling life.

Anonymous said...

“ poetry may make us from time to time a little more aware of the deeper unnamed feelings which form the substratum of our being, to which we rarely penetrate; for our lives are mostly a constant evasion of ourselves."
T. S. Elliot.
Well done survivor, you go some way towards restoring my faith in modern British poetry. And thank you. Robert.