Monday, August 13, 2007

What, Exactly, is "Settling In"?

I've been warned by numerous people that it would be very hard to move into my own home, alone. Some of those, of course, have an interest in my finding the world a harsh place, but some well-meaning people seem to think similarly.

Well, I'm keeping my stocks of trepidation high, but so far it's been quite pleasant. Probably being busy has a lot to do with that. By the time I got home from work today I had a plan of action, and got slightly more done than I planned. In my quick shop on Saturday, I got one ready meal to tide me over, and as I dined out with a friend yesterday evening, I still had that. Which meant that I didn't have to shop again today, but could get straight on.

The first step was to connect up the music system. That's not really a living room kind of item, as I got it for recording and stage work, so the works are all in flight cases. Still, it happily soothed me with assorted tunes from my iPod through the remainder of the evening.

Then came bread making. I do like my bread, and lunch is not the same without it. And armed with the family recipe, handed over at the last minute yesterday and scribbled on a jotter pad, I had a stab. Result, twelve bread rolls, which should keep me going into next week. They look OK, surprisingly, but tomorrow will tell. I may yet spit out doughy mouthfuls over my desk.

Then I fixed my main computer. It was running and connected to the world at large via broadband yesterday, but not what I'd call properly. Still isn't, actually, but it feels a little less minimalist now. No printer yet.

After that, I tackled the living room shelves. It was worrying me a bit that I couldn't fasten them to the wall at the top (as the walls aren't mine to drill), but a bit of lateral thinking solved several problems in one. I bought an extra item of furniture, a set of three drawers in the same finish. Obviously they are deeper than the shelves, and when positioned between the two tall bookcases and the whole set screwed together, the assembly feels very sturdy, and most unlikely to tip over. And - the bonus extra task of the evening - I set up my Mac Mini on top of the drawers, which are just the right height. All the electrical paraphenalia tucks underneath the bottom drawer, the Mini plus screen sit on the top, and the keyboard and mouse hide away in the top drawer until needed. Once I've connected the music side of things to the computer, it'll do me for now as an entertainment centre. Music streams from the main system upstairs, and DVDs etc are an option at any time, and it's all controllable via the remote which I never unpacked before.

What with making dinner, washing up, and catching up on messages and posting blog entries, I don't see the boredom coming on any time soon. Before long I'll have washing to do, too. And once the piles of books and so on are neatly on shelves, there's work to be seen to before my job disappears.

So far, so good. Coming soon: how I plan to be worldly.

10 comments:

Jill Mytton said...

The Worldy Survivor eh!
Well seems that Maslow and his hierarchy of needs forgot about the music!! not to mention the computers.
I think your well meaning people and those others perhaps not so well meaning dont really know how resilient you are. Yes life is harsh sometimes. and lonely and boring but that can all motivate us to change things..... oh listen to me, who am I talking here!
mmmm care to share the 12 bread rolls? or at least the recipe?

Anonymous said...

Good onya mate says Eric as if he were a real Ozzie! I'll open a couple of tinnies of VB to celebrate!

Anonymous said...

And a glass raised here to toast new beginnings! Fantastic!

Escapee said...

Just remember that the black books come before the red books which come before the blue books which come before the green books which come before the brown books ...

(I donated mine to a research library — some poor soul might want to study them!).

Anonymous said...

The JRL will be happy. But what about the white books?

Escapee said...

I've not seen a white book — they prolly come after the brown!

the survivor said...

White books go in boxes, typically, not on shelves. That's because they're temporary. And remember that there are mid brown books, dark brown books and burgundy books these days.

But not on my shelves.

Anonymous said...

"But not on my shelves".

Good on you lad! That's the spirit.

Anonymous said...

Sorry,

That was not meant to be anon.

Eric's message influenced me to open a Fitou especially for this occasion.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

Yep & from all of us Downunder - "Good onya mate". BTW in Oz VB is crap (perhaps they send the good stuff to UK), gotta have real Ozzie beer 'Coopers' or 'XXXX'. They import Coopers to England & the Queenslanders drink so much XXXX (4 ex) they don't have any left to export!