Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Music for Brethren, pt 1

While I'm on the subject of music ...

The brethren have a love/hate relationship with it in a very literal sense. It's enjoyed very much, yet also feared in a way as being too enjoyable in a non-spiritual way. Past official approval probably means that it will never be banned entirely, but the approval is a bit more cautious these days. Still, though, it's thought necessary to at least ask one's visitors if they can or will play some music.

The taste is for largely predictable middle-of-the-road popular songs. Nothing too challenging. Bear in mind that brethren should never hear the originals, only reproductions by amateurs who shouldn't have heard the originals either. It takes either considerable talent or an extraordinary song to survive that and remain enjoyable. Or, alternatively, the songs can be much the same as each other so as to save effort on interpretation.

I've thought for a long time the repertoire should be broader. So, belatedly, here's the beginning of my list of songs that brethren ought to appreciate (but never will).

In first place, one that will surely never be beaten for sheer appropriateness:

"Australia" by the Manic Street Preachers.

Secondly, another with uncanny lyrical accuracy:

"My Affair" by Kirsty MacColl. Altogether now ... "They told me what to wear, They told me not to cut my hair".

I expect this will be a growing list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hesitantly, but without hesitation I suggest some of the songs on Nada Surf's "The Weight is a Gift". The album title may also appeal to the EB sensibility.