Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Worldly Intentions

Most people, Christian or otherwise, would say that the things a person owns shed very little light on their moral worth. There are some exceptions (slaves come to mind), but generally it's actions that count.

Brethren are unusual in that respect. They are defined to a large extent by the items they do and don't possess. Especially the ones they don't.

However, even brethren consider someone's actions their defining feature. "Show me thy faith without works..." So I've no doubt they'll be watching with interest to see what depths of degredation I sink to, even if my home doesn't appear to be riddled with worldliness.

And it's an interesting question.

I can well understand that, once clear of the claustrophobic restrictions of brethren life, some people must be very tempted to ditch the rulebook entirely. I can also see, though it's not really my way, that some may wish to hang on to as many rules as they can while ranting about the few they found unacceptable. It's hard to view an entire lifestyle dispassionately enough to weed the good from the bad.

My answer to loved ones who anxiously ask what it is I want to be free to do, is: nothing I wasn't already doing.

Broadly, that's true. I begin to realise, though, that it isn't the whole story. Although I felt unconstrained by the rules while still among the brethren, there were some activities that simply weren't practical or desirable at that point.

One kind of strange example: yoga appeals to me. I feel the need of an exercise regime, but I lose patience with conventional types, and being an elastic sort of person, and a thinker, I think yoga would suit. It's a difficult thing to teach oneself, so classes are required. And when are these classes held? At the brethren's meeting times.

Missing meetings for yoga is definitely worldly.

Then there are all those activities which are only good in company. Restaurants, cinema, theatre etc, which lack something when visited alone. And in the absence of brethren companions (at least recently), I haven't been going to these places. But I will.

"Links", as the brethren call them, are another thing. I'd like my business to be a separate entity, and the law says a company needs two directors. That would be a no-no, but I have no worries at all about it, just as soon as a suitable candidate presents themselves. I might even join clubs, too, though I'm not sure which and why just yet.

Some things I don't intend: smoking, nightly pub visits, betting, looking for one night stands, clubbing, holidays in the sun, maxing out my credit card, getting tattoos and piercings. There are probably more, but those are the things I see going through brethren's heads when they think about people who've left them. Fine for some, maybe, but I don't see why I need to experiment with things that don't appeal.

Other than that, I can't think of much that will be new. Am I missing something marvellous?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should think Survivor, that simply having a broader palette would appeal to you. As to time, movement, and choices of various sorts. The absence of an external regulatory system, no matter how far one's been able to push it, is confusing for some. But in your case it will surely be exhilarating.

Internally generated ethics, morals, and ways of conducting one's life seem to me, paradoxically, to be more "Christian" than the observance of imposed or traditional rules in the Mosaic fashion.

Anonymous said...

zPutting myself into Brethren shoes (not those with the high, spindly heels that I observe some EB young women favour!), I'm certain that a major loss would be the chance to learn whatever I liked in the congenial company of other serious-minded students, helped and encouraged by able and stimulating teachers.

The EB blanket rejection of university education is a substantial deficit to both the EB institution and its members, as well as being a sad departure from earlier EB history. Imagine not expecting to learn anything new! They are missing out big time.

I hope you can tell that I was once taught by two splendid EB women - one young and joyful, the other older and a serious scholar. Ah! Those were the days .......

Anonymous said...

"smoking, nightly pub visits, betting, looking for one night stands, clubbing, holidays in the sun, maxing out my credit card, getting tattoos and piercings."

Mmmm, interesting! Of the above the only thing I do is smoke a pipe. I must be a fairly decent chap after all!

Escapee said...

The real pleasure in leaving the EB system is not alcohol, tobacco, random sex, body adornment or "retail therapy". It is the ability to breathe fresh air. No longer do you need to factor the petty rules into your life. If you decide to travel, you no longer think "Is there a meeting there? Will I miss Sunday?" I you buy a car with a radio, you just shrug your shoulders and say "That's how they come!" And if you want five apples in your fruit bowl, then so be it!

Anonymous said...

Dear survivor,it will take some time (although with your fertile mind not as long as some)to realise the scope of the difference between inside and out. The range of privileges and responsibilities you now face are legion. You are now free to choose either a complacent rule abiding life or to fully embrace the parable of the talents - from those to whom much has been given, much will be expected. As life goes on you will now have to account, mostly to yourself, for the contribution you make as well as the benefits you derive from being a member of this species on this planet. Forgive the piousness but I'm sure you have experience of coping with that. Cheers, Robert

Unknown said...

You'll find that there are a lot of very interesting things around you that you've never heard of or experienced before. Often I realise how much I don't know about the world around me - even though I was exploring on the internet & other sources for 5 years before I left!

The great thing you have done is get internet access, set up a blog & really think the whole thing through on a very deep level.

1 of my friends who left the PB's a month ago can't operate a computer, doesn't know how to get on to the internet, can't send an email, hasn't heard of YouTube(!) and doesn't know what a blog is! I feel really sorry for him as his girlfriend (not ex-PB) has to explain lots of things to him so he understands what's around him.

Another friend who left 3 years ago can operate a computer, access the internet & send emails, but hasn't heard of YouTube or blogging.

Well done for being so up to date, it's what helps people like you & me (Survivors) to thrive in our new environment.

In closing I am sure you will find your preferences expanding over time - as the blinkers aren't there to hinder your vision.



I took up meditation while in the PB's & have continued since I left - it definitely helped me & I would expect Yoga would do the same for you.

I view the whole journey as a discovery & have joined Toastmasters (if you did a lot of preaching & making remarks in mtgs, you'll find Toastmasters a breeze + the people there will wonder how you're so good at public speaking.

Because of my passion for Mini Coopers I joined my local sporting car club to have time with people who share the same interests as I do.

I've also taken up dance, archery & cooking classes as they are all passions of mine.

The world is a wonderful place to explore as long as you know your own sense of right & wrong you'll have a ball.