Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Apostasy

While I'm on the big subjects ...

I think I can deal with this one quite fast. Apostasy, as the brethren use the term, is the renouncing of Christian truth that one previously believed. I can see that accusation creeping up on me, and as sins go, they don't come much bigger. It seems to be the very deliberateness of it that makes the sin so fearful.

My definition above has several arguable terms, namely: "renouncing", "christian", "truth" and "believed". Any or all of them could be the focus of a vigorous defence against the charge. I don't propose to do so, as I'm convinced that anyone receptive to the argument can see it for themselves.

My choice of response is a favourite quote from someone who was accused of inconsistency: "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

Will that do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well fellow apostate, we're in good company. Join the Newtons, both Benjamin W. and Isaac!

Jill Mytton said...

Gee Eric you are doing a grand job of keeping up with this prolific writer!
And here is the third apostate to join the merry band

I remember when they called my dear father an apostate and how angry he was (for angry read 'hurt') and how angry I was on his behalf though at the time I had no idea what the word meant. In fact of course he was not an apostate at all.

No doubt you will be called this Survivor and no doubt you might also be called other things.

I'll go to another thread now - the one on friendships....
Jill

Robert said...

The path to enlightenment is only in one direction; an Astrologer can become an Astronomer but an Astronomer can’t become an Astrologer. Religions of all types embrace (blind) Faith as a virtue. This serves the purpose of protecting against enlightenment. Your own trajectory, EB survivor is clearly well along the enlightenment (apostasy) path. The good part is that being honest with yourself is ultimately more rewarding than faith.