Monday, July 30, 2007

A Key Week

"I believe that it is probably true that fortune is the arbiter of half the things we do, leaving the other half or so to be controlled by ourselves."

Last Friday I took the day off work and arranged a day around lunch with some potential new friends, which left me the morning to go from office to office seeing Letting Agents in two towns. I didn't forsee too much problem, as my requirements were remarkably vague: two bedrooms, quick availability, and a five mile radius. What's more, I have funds. Not huge, but enough to cover the rental period.

Interestingly, I find that even if a web search shows a multitude of properties, once you sit down opposite an agent, whatever you're looking for becomes very rare and difficult. Although they'll do everything they can, of course.

Anyway, after collecting papers and business cards from numerous agents, all of whom promised to let me know the instant anything that matched my tricky needs became available, I caught a train into town with two viewings arranged for the next day.

So I turned up to the first with my head swirling with advice from many sources. Be very careful, don't get caught out, they all said. I have the distinct impression that the letting industry is populated with sharks. In the event, I was taken aback to find that everything seemed pretty much ideal. Not only was the woman showing me round friendly and helpful, and willing to offer tips on renting in general, the property was perfect.

It was very small, but a house rather than a flat, and situated in a commuter development rather than among social housing and retirees (no offense). The area felt comfortable. The place itself was so spick and span that I couldn't see any points that would need to go on a list of faults at move-in.

I looked at a maisonette in a theoretically better area, and it had none of the good points, the only advantage being a small workshop in the garden. And the area was actually not as good by a long way.

The afternoon was a time for dithering, as I was kind of suspicious that the right place had appeared first time. I considered the total expense I was committing to, any pitfalls that might appear, what my parents would think of the suddenness. I pondered whether, even knowing that I would be reconsidering my location later, I would be better making a down payment on a purchase rather than spend out for no return.

Then I walked back down to the agent and put my deposit down. As I was handing it over, a woman came back with her deposit for the same place. I'm choosing to take that as a good sign.

Now I have only to arrange my references, and I can move in on Friday/Saturday. I was a bit worried about the employers' reference, as if they chose, they could make it awkward, but I think it will be OK.

That leaves two worries. The furniture and assorted home-making needs, of which I am guaranteed to forget some until I need something immediately, but also my broadband connection. How will I survive the two to three weeks it takes to transfer? It's a good thing I have a laptop. I may become a familiar sight at wifi-enabled coffee shops.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you the first person in EB history to worry about moving your broadband connection when leaving?

;-))

Robert said...

Dear EBS, it brings tears to my eyes to read your wonderfully matter-of-fact account of your property renting. This event is both a real and a powerfully symbolic step in your journey of self discovery and liberation. I’m sure you have formidable personal resources, and also will find many friends in your quest for honesty with yourself. I send you my heartfelt best wishes, Robert.

Anonymous said...

Good move! May "fortune" always be with you.

Anonymous said...

'There are three things you just can't do in life. You can't beat the phone company, you can't make the waiter see you until he is ready to see you, and you can't go home again.'

Bill Bryson 'The Lost Continent' (1989), ch. 2.

A lighthearted response to your great news perhaps, but well done! It sounds the perfect home for a Survivor.

the survivor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the survivor said...

I may be the first to worry about transferring broadband, but I doubt I'll be the last. Connections are proliferating like WMD, and I don't know how long the official control of them will last.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, all.

Anonymous said...

Good for you.

Go, man, go...

Anonymous said...

I guess the EB broadband connections are just like WMD — impossible to find!

Ian said...

But internet connections are more powerful than WMD in their potential to destroy totalitarian regimes. If the leaders can’t control information, then in the long run they can’t control their followers.