Monday, July 30, 2007

Humanity From Without

Two moments of encouragement today.

I don't think the non-brethren at work had noticed any difference in my situation. I'd hardly noticed myself. So it was a surprise to the warehouse worker I spoke to today when I asked him about his experience renting, and told him what was happening. He was supportive in a way I hadn't expected. I suppose I'd imagined that it would be unsettling for anyone at the company, brethren or not, to have the clear dividing line between the two suddenly break down, but he seemed well able to grasp what was involved without it disturbing him at all.

What was particularly touching was that he later pressed his phone number on me, saying that he knew I would be totally on my own, and wanted to help in any way he could.

Then later I had an osteopath appointment. For some unaccountable reason, I've been getting strain in my neck and shoulders.

"Any reason?" she asked.

I was very wary, as the practice has a lot of brethren patients, and she had always been very respectful, but I explained what was going on, presenting it as a simple difference of opinion but one that meant an all-or-nothing action. She asked a few questions, and I answered without putting my family or the brethren in a bad light.

Finally she said "Well, I think you're very strong."

It was hugely encouraging to discuss it from there. She approved, and thought that this struggle now would be a great help for the future, a chance to build moral fibre if you like. And her opinion counts for something to me, because she has no reason to be anything other than impartial, having seen plenty of brethren at their most respectable.

Obviously I have reached my own conclusions independently. Yet outside opinion counts for a lot in reality, as mixing with people is what life mainly means. Here were two people at random, both of whom have, if anything, reason to be loyal to the brethren, and both of them wished only the best for me. That does, to my surprise, mean quite a lot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always encouraging to find support in unexpected places. I suppose the person assisted by the "Good Samaritan" felt much the same way. Some years ago, there was much made of "random acts of kindness". In my experience this randomness is sufficiently prevalent to be be considered a human instinct. Albeit not shared equally amongst humankind.

It's really exciting to hear of your experiences beyond the pale. If I may use that term (<;

Anonymous said...

It's such a pity if it is not realised just how well non-EB staff understand. They know the situation better than you realise.

Ian said...

One of the most heartwarming experiences is to discover that there is such a thing as sheer, unconditional goodness.

And for someone brought up in the Brethren, one of the most surprising discoveries is that it exists across the whole spectrum of belief and unbelief.