Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hypocrisy for Beginners

I realise I've been circling around the same point for a while now. I apologise, but I think it's important.

In essence, that point is "why am I neither in nor out?" Sitting on the fence has very little in common with the moral high ground. Well, I don't think I can give a simple answer.

Let me deal with the hypocrisy side of things. I'm guilty as charged, but it doesn't feel as bad as it may look. I have principles (and if you don't like them, I have others, as Groucho Marx said). Honestly, I do. First among them is not to say what I don't mean. So I don't say I agree with things that I disagree with. I don't praise things I think are stupid. I don't say "yes, that's good," when it isn't. That may mean spending a lot of my time quiet, but that's OK. It also means the occasional clash, but not very often. I think people must think I'm joking.

Second is to make sure secrecy doesn't tip into outright deceit. That means that although I don't advertise my activities, I don't deny them when asked. I'm constantly amazed by how little trouble that causes. There has been a shift in attitudes that, although slight, seems to have far-reaching effects. I'll get back to that.

This leads me to the ideas of freedom and integrity.

The thinker who has probably influenced me most once wrote "The fundamental sense of freedom is freedom from chains, from imprisonment, from enslavement by others. The rest is extension of this sense, or else metaphor."

I'm fortunate that I'm free. To talk about lack of freedom among the brethren is extension and metaphor, because it's in the mind. I think one should always remind oneself just what true disadvantage can be. Many years ago, when starting down this road, I thought I was "getting away with things", but it's not so. I am free, truly free, to do whatever I want. And the corollary is that the brethren are free to remove me from their grouping, just as the justice system is free to fine me if I exercise my freedom to drive as fast as I like. Once I realised this, things became a lot less stressful. I set my own boundaries, and one of the judgements I have to make is whether an activity is worth the trouble it would cause; but at least that's my decision to make. I know the brethren's rules, and in my opinion they have a right to make rules if they wish. But "rules" is all they are, and it's not a matter of good and evil whether I obey them.

That may be difficult for others to understand. I think it's a little bit like civil disobedience to an unjust law. My position is that as long as I'm not claiming to believe and obey rules when I'm not, my conscience is clear.

That's not to say it wouldn't be better not to have to make all these rationalizations.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please forgive my confusion and lack of understanding. You say that your conscience is clear as long as you don’t claim to believe nor obey the rules. Firstly, I’m curious about which rules you don’t obey.

Your opinion is that Brethren are entitled to make rules. I agree, the Brethren are entitled to make rules. Any society or group needs rules to function successfully. Parents create rules for their children for their well-being and for harmonious relationships within that grouping. However these ‘rules’ can only be applied if they fit within the laws of society. I just wonder if I could choose to ignore the family next door subjecting their children to abuse because it is ‘their rules’? Have I misunderstood?

the survivor said...

I wondered if this would get worries and disagreement.

I'm making a distinction between rules, laws and morals. The brethren have rules, and that doesn't mean I ignore them, it means I consider them to be optional depending on my assessment of their validity. Morals are not open to question in the same way.

Forgive me not being too specific about my own case, but one example should serve. The rules say I shouldn't use a computer. I'm happy to do so, happy to say that I'm happy to do so, and yes, my conscience is clear about that.

Is that any better?

Anonymous said...

I've been watching your blog since the first post, as I have a watch set up for EB matters. It's an interest I've maintained since once having awkward times with EB neighbours.

I would say that you are by no means alone in your decision to live a life according to your personal ethic, rather than that laid down by the leaders of your denomination. Many do this, in all kinds of churches.

If it seems to you to sit well with what you, as a person, believe, then it is probably best to go on that way.

The choice to make friction or actually break with a group is never one to take lightly. As one who broke with a less-structured denomination (Assemblies Of God), I can imagine only some of the impact that leaving would hold for you.

Do what you believe is right.

Anonymous said...

Hi Survivor

I just want to congratulate you on your survival skills - awesome!

Please keep on with your musings, MUCH more entertaining for me than listening to Reality TV shows if I was a blind person.

Good on you for testing the system, but make sure you have a nice big umbrella ready for when the s**t hits the fan!

broomstickpatrol said...

Me again, hit the wrong button to post above comment. I'm not the earlier Anonymous ex-AOG, whose advice I fully endorse, by the way. I'm ex-EB, maybe ex-witch in a former life, who knows?

Anonymous said...

Dear Survivor,
Franklin D advocated: Freedom of Speech and Expression, Freedom of Religion, Freedom From Want, and Freedom From Fear.

You have perhaps attained the 'Freedom from Want' through your continuation within the brethren. I'm not so sure that you have experienced any of the other freedoms, ever, in your entire life.

They're good enough freedoms to found a country on. Try them! Go on, try them and see!

the survivor said...

"Please keep on with your musings, MUCH more entertaining for me than listening to Reality TV shows if I was a blind person."

I think this is a compliment, and in which case thank you.

Incidentally, thinking of freedom, I was wondering how many of the people around at the founding of the USA would be glad to swap places with me. Quite a lot, I should think. Freedom is relative, and even compared to vast numbers of people alive tody, I'm extremely lucky. I wouldn't want to forget that.

Anonymous said...

Good point, Dear Survivor; put in context, we are at the pinnacle of luckiness! Perhaps it's just that some of us who feel they can revel in great heights of freedom wish it was the same for all, such as you, sir.

Anonymous said...

You said:
"Freedom is relative"

(smile)
Almost halfway to "relativism" (and the rest of your postings support this too)...